Wednesday, March 26, 2008

9 - Hello [Again]

Yet again my weekly readings have brought me to the topic of print portfolios. This week it is Sara Eisenman’s book, Building Design Portfolios, which I find to be the most engaging on the subject. While few words are written in the 50 pages I was assigned it is the pictures of professional print portfolios and student portfolios that grabbed my attention and focus this week.

Stoltze’s Design portfolio was the first professional portfolio to make an impression upon me. Simple yet elegant, the portfolio simply features photographs and thumbnails of the designers work nicely balanced against the white space of the portfolio pages. The balance against the white pages causes the artwork to really jump off the page. The pages of the portfolio vary in size as many conform to the 5.5”x8.5” dimensions of the metallic binder, while other extended beyond the binder using conveniently placed folds. As I just alluded to, the entire portfolio is encased in a metal binder. While slightly expensive the binder is sure to last long and protect your work. Stoltze Design goes even further with their portfolio by their content into three separate metallic binders based upon the subject for which the work was performed.

The second designer’s work to grab my attention was Deborah Norcross’s. Her portfolio is also simply designed and maintained within a metallic box similar to Stoltze. While her portfolio I s fantastic it is her promotional piece which engaged my attention. Deborah Nocross has been designing CD covers and album artwork for Warner Brothers for year now so the majority of the work she has been doing, and is known for, is relatively small. In order to effective display her work she created a promotion package filled postcard pieces of her portfolio. The package is very simply but it allows for each one of her pieces to gain proper attention while correctly presenting herself as a designer.

As I continued through Eisenman’s book I came across the student portfolio of Sophie Nicolay. Nicolay’s portfolio was in no way unique in design. I am not attempting to say her work was anything less than excellent but instead I am commenting on Nicolays casing of her portfolio. Nicolay's portfolio casing, while not cheap, can be purchased at any art store. The organization of her work within the casing was done extremely well and made her portfolio look very professional and impressive.

Lorenzo Geiger’s student portfolio commanded my attention immediately. As you may have noticed I am a fan of simplicity and Geiger’s portfolio is simplistic yet intricate at the same time. His portfolio is simple, small, and slender. Used as a handout, his portfolio contains exquisite pen and ink drawing for CD’s, labels, and stickers. His portfolios looks similar to one I wish to accomplish at the completion of my portfolio class. Until I reach this point of completion stressing out is my new profession.

Interesting Links:
Art Supplies - Hulls New Haven


0 comments: